Iceberg Babies® Ceviche
Click on photo to enlargeYield: 8 servings
|8||Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®|
|1 1/2||pounds fresh, skinless striped bass (or other whitefish), cut into 1/2" cubes|
|2||cups lime juice, freshly squeezed|
|1/4||cup kosher salt|
|1||medium white onion, quartered and thinly sliced|
|2||avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|6||green onions, thinly sliced (green only)|
|1/2||cup fresh cilantro, chopped, reserving 6 sprigs for garnish|
|2||jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped|
|1/2||cup manzanilla green olives, pitted and quartered|
|1||red bell pepper, seeded and cut in small cubes|
|1||yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut in small cubes|
|2||tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|salt and pepper to taste|
Baked Tortilla Strips:
|8||7-inch corn tortillas|
|1||cup vegetable oil|
|1||teaspoon fine salt|
1. Cure fish 6 hours in advance by mixing fish cubes with lime juice until covered. Add kosher salt and sliced white onion. Stir lightly, adding more lime juice until all fish is fully immersed, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
2. Brush both sides of the corn tortillas lightly with vegetable oil. Stack and cut them in sixths to make the chips. Spread chips out in a single layer on two large baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown and crisp, rotating the baking sheet once; it should take about 10 to15 minutes.
3. Before serving, add the avocado, orange juice, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos, olives, peppers and olive oil to the cured fish. Gently toss all ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cut off the stem of the Iceberg Babies®, rinse under cold water, and allow to drip dry completely. Separate into individual leaves creating five or six lettuce leaf cups. Julienne the remaining lettuce.
5. Arrange the cups on the serving plate in an open circle. Fill each lettuce cup with the julienne lettuce and top with two full tablespoons of ceviche.
6. Place tortilla chips in the center of the plate. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
| next recipe previous recipe