- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- black pepper, coarsely ground
- 4 lbs ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cups Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- olive oil for frying
- coarse kosher salt
- small sprigs of rosemary for garnish
- Cut off the stems of the Iceberg Babies®, remove outer leaves, rinse under cold, running water and let drip dry. Cut lettuce into quarters. Remove the center leaves, leaving about 3 to 4 outer layers, keeping the stem intact. Refrigerate.
- Cut the removed leaves into a fine julienne and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, garlic, pepper, and rosemary.
- In a large mixing bowl, hand-mix the ground chicken, Gorgonzola, mayonnaise mixture, and panko bread crumbs well.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the mixture and hand roll into eight equal balls.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy-bottom pan on the stove, over medium to high heat, and cover generously with olive oil. (You can also bake them if you prefer.)
- Brown evenly on all sides. You might have to do a couple of batches. Cook approximately 6 minutes until golden brown.
- To prepare the dressing, heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add ground thyme and rosemary and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for two minutes, until it reaches a creamy consistency. If needed, thicken with flour.
- Mix in the Gorgonzola cheese and walnuts and stir gently, keeping the crumbles intact. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Place one rosemary chicken ball in the center of each lettuce cup. Serve Gorgonzola dressing on the side.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"Iceberg Babies® hold up perfectly for this ‘hot & cold’ salad creation. It’s a wonderful small-plate or appetizer. Kids love them too."