- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 8 cups watermelon, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 lbs heirloom tomatoes in assorted colors,
- cut into 3/4- inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp Fleur de Sel (or coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Remove outer leaves from the Iceberg Babies® and rinse under cold running water. Trim the stem and cut into one-inch slices, creating large rosettes.
- Combine the cubed watermelon and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with Fleur de Sel, toss lightly, and let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Add feta cheese, olive oil, vinegar and herbs to tomato-melon mixture. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently.
- To assemble, arrange the lettuce rosettes in a fan shape along the side of the plate.
- Spoon the tossed watermelon-tomato salad along the base of the rosettes. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Beat Giger, CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine."